Free range chicken poached in master stock with frissee, Szechwan pineapple
- 1 free range chicken
- 5L chicken stock
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 10g dried mushrooms
- 1 chilli – sliced in half
- 1 piece mandarin skin dried or fresh
- ½ bunch spring onions – washed
- 1 lemon grass stalk
- 1 carrot – sliced in half lengthways
- 1 stick celery – sliced in half lengthways
- 1 large piece ginger – chopped roughly
- ½ tsp. whole white pepper
- 1 cup Shao hsing Chinese rice wine
Place all ingredients except chicken in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken reduce temperature as low as possible, leave for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, leave chicken in liquid until ready to serve.
- ½ frissee lettuces or similar
- ½ Spanish onion
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ tsp. palm sugar
- ¼ tsp. fish sauce
Pick lettuce and wash well
Slice Spanish onion finely, set aside till required.
Mix sesame oil, lime juice, palm sugar and fish sauce. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Mix through salad just before serving.
- ¼ pineapples
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ¼ tsp. Szechwan pepper ground
- ¼ tsp. white pepper ground
- ¼ tsp. black pepper ground
- ¼ tsp. fine salt
- Oil for deep frying
Peel and core pineapple. Cut into 2m cubes and set aside on a tray lined with absorbent paper cover until ready to use. Place remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Set aside covered until ready to use.
Heat oil to 200C.
Remove chicken from master stock, pull meat off legs into bite sized pieces. Carefully remove breasts. Slice across the grain into 2 cm slices.
Mix lettuce, onion, salad dressing & chicken thigh in a large bowl and gently mix. Place some chicken breast onto each plate top each with salad.
Toss pineapple in spiced flour shaking off excess. Deep fry until crisp. Drain well then scatter over each dish and serve immediately.